Stuart from Essex Fire and Rescue Service came to school on Friday in order to tell us some important safety advice in the build up to Firework Night and Halloween. The children were told important information for trick or treating and how to be safe with fireworks and sparklers.
The Firework Code offers advice for adults and children.
• Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
• Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
• Keep fireworks in a closed box.
• Follow the instructions on each firework.
• Light them at arm’s length, using a taper.
• Stand well back.
• Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode.
• Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
• Always supervise children around fireworks.
• Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
• Never give sparklers to a child under five.
• Keep pets indoors.
• Don’t let off noisy fireworks after 11pm